Touring Motor Gliders Association (TMGA)

Wanted Advice to buy Phoenix Air Motor Glider: Please Advise Ownership, Handling, Characteristics

Eclipse

RE: Phoenix Air Motor Glider

We just bought an almost-new ASG 32 Mi and found it to be extremely beautiful and fun to fly.  However, living in Los Angeles, and only enjoying coastal cool weather, we anticipate flying a Phoenix Air motor glider among coastal airports, it will be more practical. 

Has anyone good (or bad) to say about the Phoenix Air motor glider?  So we can take into consideration any comments about its handling, characteristics and ownership?

Many thanks!!!!

The Phoenix Motorglider is an incredible airplane.  I primarily use mine as an airplane, not a glider.  With a 30:1 glide ratio with the engine off, it is the perfect airplane for flying over hostile terrain.  It's an awesome alternative to light sport.  Being a glider, you don't need a medical to fly it (you do need a glider license), but you have none of the light sport restrictions.  You can fly at night, and above 10K ft.

It has a huge baggage compartment.  With full fuel, you can carry two adults plus 100 lbs of baggage.  It cruises at 110 knots, burning 4 gallons / hour of 91 Octane MOGAS.

In my opinion, the best feature are the removable wing tips.  It takes 30 seconds to remove the tips, which weigh ~15 lbs each.  With the tips removed, the wingspan of the Phoenix is 35', so it easily fits in a standard T-Hangar.

Almost all of the Phoenix Motorgliders in the US are equipped with full Dynon Skyview systems, which include transponders, ADS-B IN and OUT, and Autopilot.  In addition you have a ballistic recovery chute.

Had mine two years. I have flown into Class C, I have a Century antenna for ADSB in. Auto pilot in expert mode is stellar, the dynon package is perfect for my level of travel. Cross wind landing as with all taildragger motor gliders is challenging. I will say that I have never messed with cowel flaps in any aircraft like this aircraft. wide open on takeoff and climb, closed on descent and landing.  somewhere in between while "idle soaring". closed while in glider mode, closed during startup in winter and during engine warm up. Its like a mixture in a complex only for air. Must always keep an eye on engine cylinder temps and oil temp. always. Negative flaps are nice for cross country. she will take off with full flaps, she will take off with full spoilers. (don't ask) But I truly love this aircraft. I fly out an executive type airport.IMG_3747.thumb.jpg.e1310710007514d933d1764982c62d80.jpgplane.thumb.png.4460c67c73e5203d9a92445466c908e5.png

Definitely will takeoff with full spoilers.  Been there, done that.  Landing is a little challenging.  With a crosswind, you have to crab.  You can't slip.  If you slip more than 10 degrees, you will drag a wingtip.

Also, on landing you have a LOT of ground affect, so you have to use the spoilers, or you will never land.  If you buy a Phoenix, I strongly recommend that you go to Minden and get a full checkout, with lots of landing practice, with Jim Lee in his Phoenix.  Not only is he a terrific glider pilot and CFIG, but being the former Phoenix importer, he is incredibly knowledgeable about the airplane and has a phenomenal stock of Phoenix parts.

My phoenix is rentable here in wichita. My insructor, Dave McConeghey is excellent. he will teach all configurations and types of landings. He will get you solo-d and endorsed. he will also come to you if you already have the Phoenix

• 10 months later...

In a couple of careers, both military and civilian (4 decades or so) I have flown numerous aircraft (various helicopters, gliders, seaplanes, turboprops, jets, piston tail draggers, etc.). I have had some experience/training with Jim Lee as my trainer/CFI and have flown with him at MEV in both a Duo Discus AND his personal Phoenix. I have nothing bad to say about him---only good things like personable, thorough, patient, experienced and knowledgeable. As for the Phoenix motor glider, I was all around quite impressed with it. Competent as a glider with the 15 meter tips on it and reasonable cost and handy as a power plane/run-about transportation. Even after about a 20 year hiatus in the glider flying realm and having retired from all flying 15 years ago and not flown at all, he has recently done wonders to help me polish and bring back old skills, so I can HIGHLY recommend him as a CFI (speaking as a fairly experienced CFI, CFI-G,  MEI, R/W CFI and having served as an Instructor in the military) AND If you are in the market for an aircraft that can serve as both transportation AND as a reasonably competent and fun GLIDER, I'd tell you to , at a minimum, give the Phoenix a try---fly it and I believe you will be impressed. BTW, I do not believe that Jim Lee is currently involved with the Phoenix operation other than the fact that he DOES own one.